Thursday, 22 September 2011

Week Nine - Online Political Participation

I have had a fun afternoon participation in political activity online:

  • I signed an e-petition on People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) against the torture of animals in Nestle's Nestea testing process. This e-petition is a vow to drink 'cruelty-free tea'
  • I added a comment to a news story on the Daily Telegraph about the ABC's use of the Australian flag in the sub-par comedy 'At Home With Julie', agreeing with the writer about the notion that the flag "is not a cheap prop for a half-funny TV show. It is a revered symbol of the nation's sovereignty."      (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/aussie-flag-not-just-a-piece-of-cloth/story-e6frezz0-1226142956082)
  • THE CLEAN FEED: The Australian Government plans to heavily censor the internet to restrict access to inappropriate content and webpages advocating controversial agendas. The problem, however is that the material that will be banned will be much more than merely child sexual abuse material. It will ban websites about euthanasia and other controversial issues, and will ban movies and games aimed audiences over 16 years of age.
  • Local Representative: Col Murray - State Representative: Kevin Anderson - Federal Representative: Tony Windsor

Thoughts on Habermas' ideas on the Public Sphere
An interesting idea I came across when I undertook further reading on Jurgen Habermas and his idea of the Public Sphere, is his three "institutional criteria" as necessities for the existence of the public sphere:

  • Disregard for social class and status
  • Domain of common concern 
  • Inclusivity
The third criterion is of particular interest to me- issues discussed in the public sphere are accessible, and open to participation. How new communication technologies have embraced and enhanced this could be a topic for an essay, or I could integrate it into my current essay idea about citizen journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment