Wednesday, 10 August 2011

ce n'est pas la communication (this is communication)

"Mopping the floor over all over is imperative, yet all that was needed was a quick sweep.."
I made a film last year based on a surrealist poem I wrote, and the photo above is a scene from the film; the anonymous, faceless figure nurses a technological device, which is tied to their feet. Their free will is restricted in this new progressive age, and when placed in this barren, alienating setting, they are ultimately nameless, and faceless- individuality is diminished.

At least, those were my views last year. I found a paradox in that this progressive age has infact reversed the evolutionary process, where computers run our lives and technology determines our life's path.
Since then, however, I have developed an appreciation for this technological age, where people can communicate and express themselves through new, exciting and intuitive forms of media. Indeed, I would not have been able to express these ideas through the wonderful communication technology of digital video.

Therefore, I now understand that while I once thought that new communication technologies are squashing our free will, at the same time they are providing us with new ways of interacting, living, and experiencing. My views on this subject are likely to develop within the next few weeks of this course, and I look forward to coming to a more informed, well-rounded view in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment